Friday, March 6, 2009

GOD Answers Prayer!

You may have noticed my two older children sporting braces, recently. This is a huge answer to prayer that I want to share with you. Our insurance does not cover orthodontia and our budget also didn't seem to...we had a work-up done by the dentist and they gave us a quote that involved one-third of the total cost as down payment for each child (OUCH!!! and DOUBLE OUCH!!!)

A couple people recommended another orthodontist who is less expensive, so I called that office. The office manager would not even give us a consult appointment because we had been seen by another orthodontist already. No matter how I explained that we couldn't afford that and were willing to sign waivers, whatever they wanted, she was a stone wall, unmoved. She said it would be unethical of them to take another doctor's patient. I tried to explain that we were shopping for a better deal...like looking for a car. (It's not unethical, by the way, but there is some kind of agreement among the local ortho's, not to poach patients from each other.)

I felt like we had hit a wall...we couldn't afford what we had, and couldn't get what we could maybe afford. So, we prayed...and prayed...and my husband said to talk to the orthodontist at our current office. I was so nervous! How could I look him in the face and say, "You're too expensive, we want to go somewhere else." ?

The problem was that one child needed help immediately, but the other had more problems and would need them longer and with more involvement. How to choose?

Fortunately, Wyatt needed his fake tooth removed (a whole 'nother story...) so I asked to see the orthodontist while we were there. He's relatively young and so I probably scared him a little when I burst into tears. (I know I scared myself a little--I don't cry...Tammy usually does that for me :D) I told him about the other orthodontist and explained what I could afford and why and that I didn't know how to choose between my children, as far as need. I'm not sure that I made complete sense, but he said he would contact me later that day. He was probably trying to just get away from the scary lady as quickly as possible.

Jump to later that evening...I was making dinner when the phone rang...it was the doctor...he made an unbelievable offer! We didn't have to make a down payment before they would start...we could pay an agreed amount each month until it is paid in full...and the entire cost for both kids was LESS than the other orthodontist! I can make the payments just from the little bit I earn each month, typing.

I don't know if he even knows why he did it, but I do! We serve an awesome God who cares enough to help with the little things, like straight teeth. So each time you see my little metal mouths, remember that God answers prayer!

PS--If you ever need a great pediatric dentist's office or orthodontist, let me know!

PPS--A little shout-out to Erin H...Praise the Lord and thanks for the encouraging word!

No comments:

Post a Comment